Bina

Has anyone tried aquaculture??

Has anyone thought of or tried Tilapia or possibly Fresh Water Shrimp?? As a part of water storage for my garden I am thinking of putting in a pond. We.ll at least that is my excuse if anyone asks and I am sticking to it :lol:
But seriously has anyone added fish as a protein to their gardens and if so what is the smallest possible non cruel pond that could be used 500, 1000, 1500 gallons? Do they know of any stock sources that can ship to Canada? I have been researching but I just can't seem to find the practical. Lots of university studies and documents geared towards 10 acre ponds that are looking at 1000's of pounds of fish per year.
Up here in Alberta our fish farms deal with trout and it is not an option since it takes ponds with huge depths and cold temperature areas year round. However that being said I have been to trout springs in New Zealand that were warm since they were in Rotorua but I don't remember what type of trout they were and bringing foreign species of trout which is a game fish????? I think I might get arrested by at least one level of government :lol: so that leaves me with tropical species that could never no mater what survive our winters. That means Talapia and Fresh Water Shrimp which go from little to freezer in one year, not the best solution but the only one that I can come up with in an urban setting.
So does anyone out there know anything or anyone who might know how to farm fish on an urban lot? If it can be done in Asian countries for 1,000's of years this has to be possible. :?
Bina :?

hairycaterpillar
Newly Registered

Have been considering it but I want to get some catstails and water lillies established first then I can concentrate on the fish. I heard your suppose to be able to produce a lot more food using aquaculture, is that right?

Bina

:cry: I have heard the same things but all the information I can come up with is for much larger ponds than I can put in. I was sort of hoping some one on this site might know of something. Looking for those bread crumbs because yes this could provide a second protein source for the urban garden. The idea of freshwater shrimp that are raised to edible size in about 6 months is intriguing and you would not have to over winter them. In my climate it doesn't make sense to try and keep them. The winter kill would be awful so the idea of tropical fish raised to freezer size in 2 seasons with the water recycled into all the gardens at freeze up would not be a bad thing. There have been small fish ponds in Asian countries, and Polynesian countries for years, there has to be a way to grow a reasonable number in a small pond. :? There has to be a way that is not complicated but not cruel and I just haven't found the site yet. I'll let you know how my search goes.
Bina :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Bina, large or small, consider how you're going to deal with the waste water. There may be local or national ordinances that deal with how to handle the excrement and waste water; water quality/groundwater issues. And even if you have a 5x5 pond with two fish, you may have an overzealous inspector to deal with, who knows? Also, protecting fish from predators, land and sky. And you are right to consider restrictions on non-native species--look at the trouble we have in the Great Lakes with asian walking carp, sea lampreys, zebra and qagga mussels, and other "imports". Just some things to consider.

That said, I wouldn't try aquaculture--I can't hold my breath for that long. :roll: Sorry, couldn't resist.

liz1231

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but...
https://www.earthsolutions.com/Farm-in-a-Box-Mini_p_597.html
The Earth Solutions Farm In A Boxâ„¢ Manhattan is a self contained Aquaponics system which allows you to grow organic fish and vegetables conveniently and efficiently at home.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”