Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Too much heat no fruit.

I started a tomato in the green house in a large conainer. The tomato is huge over 5 feet and lots of flowers but no fruit! I am assuming that the 110 heat is causing the problem is that true? I am trying to bring the heat own but when its a 100 outside even when the greenhouse is 75 percent open the heat is otter! Has anyone had tomatos outside with flowers and no tomatoesbecause of this heat!?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am going through the same ordeal. My plants are huge but only have few developing fruit and flowers. I see flowers dropping a lot too. I am not overdosing on Nitrogen so has to be the heat. I am hoping once things cool down these plants bounce back.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, they just can't get pollinated in triple digit heat (and you can't hand pollinate, trouble is the pollen gets all sticky and clumped up). Just keep taking care of them and they should start producing again when it cools off some. People in places like TX are used to not getting tomatoes in the summer.

Tomatoes like warm, they don't really like hot.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am in the Texas type weather pattern. New flowers are hard to come by.

27 days in a row over 90 and a6 of those over 105 both record breakers. On its way to 106-7 today again. :cry:

DownriverGardener

yeah, it's all about the 80's.

When it was 75-90 degrees at the beginning of the summer, my tomato plants were producing fruits like CRAZY! Since the beginning of July and the 90 degree and above weather, the plants have slowed down substantially and a lot of the flowers are browning and dropping off. :-/

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DownriverGardener wrote:yeah, it's all about the 80's.
Oh you mean like during the winter? :P LMFAO

No really! :cry:

Jeremy brua

I think that is the problem with the one type I planted. They are 7' tall, one has 3 tomatos and the other has1 :(

bcallaha
Cool Member

gixxerific, Texas type heat? My son lives in San Antonio, and he came to visit when we had our heat wave of 105+ temps for like 9 days in a row. I think he's glad to be back home where it's only 100!!

:lol:

Brad

mattie g
Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:I think that is the problem with the one type I planted. They are 7' tall, one has 3 tomatos and the other has1 :(
It could also be that your plants are getting too much nitrogen and not enough other nutrients.

My plants (various types) are between 4'-9' tall, and all are producing quite a few tomatoes (some are absolutely loaded). But I also ran into the problem of losing blossoms when the heat was raging a few weeks ago (and like it is today!) - there's just nothing you can do about that. But as long as it's under 90 or so, then the blossoms generally set fruit.

I only fertilize with compost tea brewed with fish fertilizer, so I get plenty of other nutrients besides nitrogen.

Jeremy brua

I don't think it is an issue with to much N. The other 4 plants right beside them are doing great. I think the one type of tomato just cant take the heat as well as the others.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

bcallaha wrote:gixxerific, Texas type heat? My son lives in San Antonio, and he came to visit when we had our heat wave of 105+ temps for like 9 days in a row. I think he's glad to be back home where it's only 100!!

:lol:

Brad
I belive that this is first day in a while where it wasn't 105 or so. It's 96 and I hate to say but it's almost comfortable outside. :shock:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”