jkelso123

weather issue

I just bought a japanese maple bonsai tree and its suppose to outdoors as I know, but I live in southern California where temperatures can reach as high as 120 degrees and we have been having high humidity alot lately. Today it was at least 115 with high humidity. So should I keep the tree inside or put it outside?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the high humidity is probably a plus in those temperatures. I think staying hot at night is probably harder on it than daytime heat, but in the desert, your nights probably cool off pretty well?

But it definitely does not want to be out in hot afternoon sun. It wants morning sun / afternoon shade or all day filtered sun.

But I would think your problem will be more with winter and not having enough cold winter for it to have cold dormancy.

jkelso123

Well it does cool off but not lately. Lately its been like 98 degrees at 10pm not including the high humidity. In winter its usually 70s and at night it dips to maybe 50 degree. Again tho, should I put it outside or inside? The leaves are startn to crisp up on some limbs and other limbs are perfectly fine.

The Ficus Guy

It should stay outdoors 24/7. It would not do well inside, period. I've heard of people having trouble growing Japanese Maples in California, especially with temps that high, so that species may not be best for you. Whatever you do, don't bring it indoors.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Why do people who grow trees in shallow trays persist in growing trees that are not part of our own biome? I dunno, but I do it too.

You are choosing just about the toughest possible horticultural stretch, by growing a tree in a zone warmer than its home range.

Can you shelter it in its growing season with a shade house? And support its dormancy with refridgeration?

Only time will tell.

manofthetrees

looks to me like your gunna have to make some room in the fridge for this one .they need to be held at 40 degrees or below for at least 40 -60 days to get adaquite resting time .

jkelso123

So yall feel and believe I should just post it outside in 120 weather in a shady area?

The Ficus Guy

jkelso123 wrote:So yall feel and believe I should just post it outside in 120 weather in a shady area?
It's all you can really do. Bringing it indoors would kill it for sure. There's just nothing else that can be done.

jkelso123

Ok so I put it outside in the shade and it does get some sun in the morning and afternoon but its getting worse

manofthetrees

look at were the leaves attach to the branches and see if there are new buds there. I have a coral bark maple that doesnt do well in the heat and will loose its leaves in summer. I end up defoliating it when the leaves start browning and they come back in a few weeks . I think some species of j maple just cant hold enough water in the leaves to keep them alive when its hot ...all you can do is wait and see just keep it watered

jkelso123

No buds unfortunately. The leaves are turning brown and crispy, but theyre always coming off. Some of the leaves seem ok but I don't know. I don't want it to die.

The Ficus Guy

jkelso123 wrote:No buds unfortunately. The leaves are turning brown and crispy, but theyre always coming off. Some of the leaves seem ok but I don't know. I don't want it to die.
That's going to happen, especially in a climate where the tree isn't suited. There really isn't much you can do. The tree just isn't fit for the hot, humid environment of California.

jkelso123

Well I guess its just gonna have to be inside. I mean I'm tryn wat yall have said but its just getn worse

The Ficus Guy

jkelso123 wrote:Well I guess its just gonna have to be inside. I mean I'm tryn wat yall have said but its just getn worse
It will die even faster indoors. I guarantee it. Lack of light, temperature changes, and lack of humidity will end up killing it faster than if it were outdoors.

jkelso123

Well its dieing faster outside then it was inside

The Ficus Guy

jkelso123 wrote:Well its dieing faster outside then it was inside
Fine, bring it indoors. It'll die either way, sorry. No trees were meant to live indoors.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jkelso123,
Well I guess its just gonna have to be inside. I mean I'm tryn wat yall have said but its just getn worse...Well its dieing faster outside then it was inside
Once the leaves of a Maple get like that they are not going to recover, that particular leaf is damaged for good. My Maples tend to get a little ratty by midsummer and this year was worse than usual.

Not being from your climate I'm afraid that I can't offer much other than to suggest a more sheltered location. Keep it watered properly but don't try to overcompensate by watering too frequently. You may have to resign yourself to the possibility that you have chosen a species that is ill suited to your climate.

Don't give up on bonsai though, do some more research and try again. We all kill trees. I lost some this year, it happens.

Norm

jkelso123

Well surprisingly, its doin a hell of alot better! It has even started buding :D I just wish some of the leafs werent all crispy at the ends.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”