jax
Newly Registered

Climbing vines

I'm looking for a perennial vine that will climb around a trellis that my husband built over the garage door to "girlify" his 36x40 foot garage! I would love something like trumpet vine or even wisteria, however, he doesn't want anything that will drop petals or more importantly, anything that could stain his cars.

Is there any type of vine that either flowers and doesn't shed too much or doesn't flower but still looks pretty (for zone 6)?

I'm open to any suggestions.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

How about a few passion flowers?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like hydrangea vine, very refined the rest of the year, but the flower doeas shed a bit. The Passiflora suggestion is pretty good. I like evergreen honeysuckle (a native and a hummingbird feeder), but that sheds a bit during flowering. Tell hubby to park in the garage or out of the garage, not halfway in :lol: . Life is too short for no flowers! :wink:

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

What about Clematis? Very lovely bloom there.
Trumpet vine, in yellow or pink.
Morning Glory also comes to mind.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A warning about morning glory:

In some areas it is EXTREMELY INVASIVE and it also dies back in the fall and winter so, it will need to be pruned right back every year.

Clematis is a great idea.

underthemagnolia

Opa,

How invasive can Morning Glory be if it dies back in the winter? Does it come back on it's own in the spring or need to be replanted?

Pixie

Grey
Greener Thumb

Opa, in other words, keep it in a hanging pot over a porch?
I've started some from seed - they had no trouble even though the package said one should score the hard seed casing or else they may not germinate. I didn't score them.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”