coasterqueen

Need help w/north side of house

On the north side of our house it gets sun but also gets some shade. I can't tell you which time of the day it gets what, though. I know I've planted Azaleas at the back part of the north side of the house and they bloom beautifully once a year for a short period of time and then that's it. Is that normal? Shouldn't they bloom more? Towards the front of the north alongside I have a hydrangea that blooms really weird and then 3 hostas that look fried beyond belief. They are supposed to be green and they look burnt yellow. The front part of the north side gets more sun more often than the back alongside of the north side. Am I making any sense?

What can I plant along this side if these aren't going to work? I feel like I've planted many things there that didn't work that were partial shade to full shade.

HELP, please.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Coasterqueen,

Most Azaleas only bloom once a year, especially the evergreen ones.

What do you mean about your hydrangea blooming 'weird'. What is weird about it?

Can you post some pictures of the site? Your hardiness zone would be helpful as well how many hours of sun the sites are getting.

Oh, some hostas have a yellow tint to their leaves. Is the yellowing between the veins of the leaf or yellow all over?

Is this a very wet site?
How many hours of sun is the spot where the hostas are?
Is the soil amended with compost there?

Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”