ddwalla
Newly Registered

skyrocket junipers

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum. I need some advice about my backyard fence line. I want to plant skyrocket junipers along the 6' fence line to (eventually) provide a little more privacy than the fence provides. I've already bought 30 trees, so I have to plant them!!!!! My question is should they be in a straight row or in groups of three? The fence line is 80 feet long. My original idea was to plant them in groups of three at each fence post, with two closer to the fence and one slightly forward. Either way I want to plant other shrubs, plants or flowers around or in front of them. I also need help in deciding which plants to put with the trees. Thank you so much. I've enjoyed reading your posts.[/u]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If you want an eventual hedge I would plant them in a row about 2 feet apart from one another. You can get away with planting conifers now but, make sure that they are watered well this spring and summer.

Ideally, you probably should have waited until fall to plant them but, keep them watered and they will be okay.

Get some cocoa bean hulls from home depot and throw some (you'll have to soak them in water first) in each hole when you plant the trees.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddwalla
Newly Registered

Thanks! Would you put a flowering shrub in front of them?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah, just make sure that you give the shrub enough space to grow and make sure that it recieves enough light. Keep in mind that everything (including your conifers) will grow so, picture what things will look like a a few years, and in ten years.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”