KU Alan
Newly Registered

Roses with no bloom?

Hello Everyone,

About nine or ten years ago I transplanted a rose from my deceased grandmother’s garden in Kansas City to my garden here in Northern Indiana. For three or four years the rose looked healthy, bloomed and grew very thinly. About five years ago nothing came up in the spring, but I left the trunk in the ground and just worked around it in my garden. Three years ago the rose started growing again, but never sets any buds. It seems to grow healthy with good foliage just no buds. I would love to get it blooming again, do you have any ideas? Do you think there is a chance? This is a very old rose; it was given to my grandmother by her mother in-law for a wedding present back in the 1930’s. Any help is appreciated.

bangstrom

I think there is an excellent chance the rose will bloom again but there is also a possibility that the rose will be from the rootstock of a different variety. If it is the same variety, consider propagating the rose by cuttings or grafting. The rose may need to be grafted to a hardier rootstock or at least grown in more than location since you can't buy another.

Return to “Rose Forum”