Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

What might this shrub be?

leaves.JPG
plant.JPG
plant.JPG (27.21 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
I really like this shrub and would like to plant a couple more, any idea what this could be? I can't remember if it flowered in the spring or not.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Looks like Nandina

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I guess it could be. The pics I was looking at of Nandina show leaves a little more pointed, and reddish leaves at certain times of the year. I suppose there are different varieties though. Thanks. :)

applestar
Mod

Wouldn't nandina have berries at this time of the year? Mine do though my area is borderline for hardiness.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

That was another thing that I was reading about with nandina: the berries. This shrub has full sun, so should produce berries I would think. I just wish I could remember last spring if it bloomed or not. We were so preoccupied with buying this property I didn't notice.

Do your nandina have leaves that look like mine?

applestar
Mod

I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow. :wink:

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Oh, thank you so much! I just noticed today that this shrub sends out long vines too. I buried one today hoping to propagate some.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, I really don't think nandina, but I was keeping my mouth shut, since I don't know what it is, so don't have anything positive to offer....

applestar
Mod

That's interesting because when I first saw the pics I thought it looked like wisteria except the leaves are too rounded. Hopefully someone else will recognize it.

catgrass
Green Thumb

My 2nd thought was wisteria, too, but whatever it is, it looks sick. OR maybe cape honeysuckle?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Not sure what honeysuckle looks like, I think people around here do grow it though. I will anxious to see what flowers it puts out, if any, next spring.

I don't think the shrub is sick though. The leaves were a lush deep green all summer, as in the top photo which is one reason I would like more. The yellowing is simply fall color. Even since I took the photo more leaves are turning and falling off.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Nandina doesn't lose leaves like that, so I'm leaning towards the wisteria or honeysuckle.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I think cape honeysuckle has more of a serrated heart shaped leaf while the photos above look to be more oval shaped with a smooth edge. My first thought was wisteria as well.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It it supporting itself, or is there some kind of stake?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

That is a good question. Actually, there is a steel fence post behind it that is supporting it. It's the last post of a chain link fence the previous owner had there. I left it there to support this bush.

It seems to send out long vines which is hard to see from the foto. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Am bringing back this thread since this vine is in bloom again! I know that you folks will be able to tell me what it is now. I still don't know. The flowers are exceptionally sweet smelling, like lilac.
flower.JPG
vine and flower.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wisteria, which is a vine, not a shrub, but a very stout, dense vine.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Ah, at last! Thank you. Last year when we acquired this property I don't know if it had already bloomed or not, I couldn't remember any blooms. It certainly is dense, last year there was a bird nest in there. I like the fall color it gives too.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Thanks for the update!

Return to “Plant Identification”