magicpenny75
Newly Registered

Tree ID - Not butterfly bush - Glory Bower

This tree is growing in my neighbor's soil, but I have a great view of it from my window and I got them to give me a couple saplings that had sprung up in their yard, so soon I will have my own. One even bloomed this year. I have searched everywhere for a name. I've never seen it before. It grows like a dogwood - leans to one side wherever it can get to the sun best - but take on an umbrella sort of form, with the broadest part of the crown facing the sun. The leaves are spade-shaped and opposing, slightly fuzzy, with lumpy (not toothed but not smooth) margins, about 5"-7" across at maturity, and grass-green. The flower buds go from light green to pink and open to white flowers that look almost like jasmine and smell like sweet heaven. I haven't noticed any fruit to speak of, but I don't remember from last year and none have matured this year yet. Might be berries? Dunno!
So...any guesses? Or definite answers???
https://picasaweb.google.com/magicpenny ... zv7QrLGQVQ
Thanks

Hortman

Hey magicpenny75. A hearty welcome to the forum. After much searching, I
think I have found your tree. It is called Seven Sons Flower(Heptacodium miconioides).
It is a native of China. Here is a link to some info about your tree. Take care.

https://plantfinder.sunset.com/sunset/plant-details.jsp?id=1427

magicpenny75
Newly Registered

That is a similar plant, but this tree has some key differences... It looks like the seven sons' leaves have three "main" veins that run out from the base of the leaf, and they are a long narrow heart. My tree has one main vein with several branches on the leaves, and they are broad - almost as wide as they are long. The bloom time is right (it just finished) and the flowers are similar. I know the pictures are better of the butterflies than the plant and the leaves are hard to see in some of them...
The bark on this tree has a more grainy texture to it and does not peel off.
Also there are wayyyy more than seven flowers in a cluster - more like fifteen to 25 on most...
Keep it coming! I am hoping that someone has one in their yard and will say "oh I have that it's a _____ !"

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You didn't say when it bloomed but it could be a viburnum, possibly carlesii, but they bloom early in the season when butterflies can still be caterpillers.

magicpenny75
Newly Registered

It just finished blooming about a week ago. It typically blooms in Late July and through August. The flowers themselves are white and look like jasmine flowers and come out of a wine pink to white capsule (not sure what those are called...) I went and checked it again now that the flowers are done and I don't see the beginnings of any fruit at this time. I also re-measured the leaves, and they are really big - the size of a spread hand, and spade shaped more than hear shaped...
This is such a mystery!
I posted another picture in the album linked in the OP that I took of the leaves of one of the tiny ones I planted one day after it rained.
I have been searching on my own for a year to find out what this is. It's crazy that something so beautiful is so hard to identify. Thanks for all the help so far!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Simple. Send a photo to the hort department at NC State.

magicpenny75
Newly Registered

Well, I took the advice of a fellow poster, and emailed the file to someone at NC State. It is called a glory bower tree. Now, go out and get one! Best smelling thing ever :)

nk

Wow those berries and calyxes look so nice together!

ButterflyGarden

You are a great photographer. They are lovely photos.

Return to “Plant Identification”