nikki0313
Newly Registered

All my Lily! Zone 5/6

Hello,
I am moving to a new house soon (November and Zone 5/6) and I want to take pieces of my Daylily, Tiger lily, Calla's and Canna's and replant them at my new home next spring. Can I just dig up chunks of tubers and bulbs, let them dry and replant in spring? Isn't this basically what the stores do for their packaged bulbs and tubers? Keep in mind that my current home will still be mine since I am renting it out but don't want to have to bother the new tenants with my hole digging next year.
Thanks for you help? :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you can, it is best to wait long enough for the foliage to start turning brown. As long as it it green, it is still feeding the bulbs/ rhizomes/ whatever.

The callas and cannas, dig up, cut off all the leaves and top above the crown. The callas brush the dirt off and let dry in the sun for a couple days and then just throw them in a paper bag and store in a cool dark place. The cannas, I think (I don't grow them, so no direct experience) cut the tops off, but don't dry them, bury them in sand and keep it just slightly moist through the winter.

The daylily and tiger lily are hardy. I would just dig them up, cut the top back and replant in new location.

StreedGardens
Newly Registered

Hemerocallis (daylilly) will not survive long out of the soil. If you choose not to replant entire clumps, or parts thereof, you need to keep them moist and cold, preferably below freezing. Hemerocallis needs to enter a dormant phase unless they are an evergreen variety, but as a fellow Michigander, I am mostly sure you have the dormant variety. That said, best is to plant before the soil freezes over. Mulch is good.

Tiger lily is a bulb. Not really happy dry for any extended length of time, and also requires a dormant period to restart the growth cycle. Best again to plant as long as the soil is workable.

Both Calla and Canna can be kept with the proper conditions, as neither requires a dormant period, native to much warmer climates where the soil never freezes.

Happy planting

Return to “Perennials”