L.Howard
Newly Registered

I need HELP with plant food

:( Frist I am not a chemist and I am lost. Or I have been reading too many adds for additives and am totaly confused. I understand the PH is important but what are the basic for feeding your plants from seed to harvest. What is a good product or products to start with for a first timer.
P.S. I belive in the KISS method: Keep It Simpley Simple

hydroguy

Welcome L.Howard,

I'm no chemist or expert, just a fellow gardner like yourself and I follow your method of KISS.

The market for hydroponics is a racket, no doubt about it and it seems everyday some body comes out with the next best thing since sliced bread. If I had the cash I've wasted on nutes...

I asked a cool guy at my local hydro store this question one day and he showed my this little kit from Technaflora that had a sample of most all their products. I bought it and it worked. The kit contained maybe 11 products and today I still use products from them but only 2 of the complete line. Depends on what your growing, what your water is like etc.

Some brands to consider are from:
Advanced Nutrients
House & Garden
Technaflora
General Hydroponics
to name a few and there are many but these I have used or have good friends that have used them. You'll want to find one that has a 2 or 3 part mix.

Boost, Grow & Bloom. All the other stuff, well, isn't really necessary for the most part. The boost will contain your micro nutes, the grow will be higher in Nitrogen and the bloom will be lower in Nitrogen.

Hope this helps,

hydroguy

malkore
Cool Member

I went with botanicare products...they make a 3 pack that has a veg growth (mostly N) and then a fruiting/flowering stage (more P). easy to dose too.

you may also need a trace mix, especially if you're using RO water. Calcium possibly too.

I have used some 'sweet' for berries on my peppers...they did fine. hard to say if it helped.

You don't need a huge arsenal, but its probably wise to have a growth fert, a fruiting fert, trace, and calcium.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”