MTKid
Newly Registered

4 Bonsai & a Noob ... any tips?

Hi, y'all. This noob rescued 4 Bonsai from WM Garden Ctr late Oct after early snowstorm; plants sitting out back of store on crates in cold, some covered with snow! :shock:

Great forum and y'all are so easygoing! I confess there's so much to digest for this noob. :lol:

Species: Unsure what I have tho believe 2 Juniper, 1 Braided Money Tree, 1 Sago Palm [pix below].

Glued Rock: Removed days after purchase!

Water: Every 3-7 days or when soil feels dry. No chopsticks [yet], using index finger. Soak 3X method + good drainage.

Light: Plenty as sit in front of patio door, some sun. Keeping away from heat source. Indoors as outside temps 30s/20s.

Fertilizer: No clue. Other houseplants get Miracle-Gro. Is fish emulsion better?

Soil: Sounds difficult to make-your-own. Are commercial ones ok?

Pots: Downright plain ugly. Unsure of need, best time, how to select pot ... masculine/feminine, size [read to measure 2/3 as wide as plant is high + 1/2 as deep ... something like that] :?

Pix:

[img]https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9601/2011novbonsai1alb.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3107/2011novbonsai2alb.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9082/2011novbonsai3alb.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6125/2011novbonsai4alb.jpg[/img]

Didn't mean to yak your ears off. Did I miss anything? Tips greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year 2012, y'all.

TomM
Greener Thumb

MTKid - Not bad for a 'noob' - not too shabby at all. WELCOME!!!

I congratulate you for the rescue of these little trees as well as for your photo skills. You have a beautiful setting there in the Poconos as it can be seen out your window. Serene natural 'tree filled' surroundings. Your bonsai are really enjoying the care and companionship.

You may not know it but there are well known bonsai artists and very good bonsai clubs in both Northern New Jersey and central PA.

You seem to have a mix of both indoor and outdoor plants in this group, tropical and hardy. So I am puzzled as to whether you keep them all at the same temperature range in Winter. Please understand no criticism intended. Just curiosity. The braided schefflera and palm want warmth and the junipers want cold. You mentioned 20-30 degrees. Please explain.

MTKid
Newly Registered

Hi, TomM. Great name. My fiance is Thomas as was my father and grandfather. :D

Thx for quick reply. Allow me to elaborate on your comment: You seem to have a mix of both indoor and outdoor plants in this group, tropical and hardy. So I am puzzled as to whether you keep them all at the same temperature range in Winter. Please understand no criticism intended...

I love plants [photography/writing, NO Saints in playoffs...yes!]. Saw Bonsai, rescued [Thomas, frugal plant lover, negotiated 50% off]. Here's where noob comes in: 4 plants chosen based on health/style; first Bonsai. Our home has multiple houseplants: cacti, schefflera, ivy, mint, nepthytis, zebra, mosaic, African violets, pansies, a 15 y/o Christmas cactus, and Norfolk Island Pine [replaced fake Christmas tree this year, doing well in front of LR windows where Bonsai photographed]. Didn't think any plant could survive outside on 2d sty back deck, slight overhang, exposed to majority elements which is what I meant by "30/20 degrees" [so far this winter very little snow :( ].

Read in forum about hardiness of junipers, tho not sure just how hardy in mountains at 1700 FASL. Hence these 2 sit comfy by patio door which is cooler, during day bathed in east/southeast light/midday-late-not intense sun. The 2 tropicals sit closer to kitchen [warmer], light/sun like 2 junipers. I work 2d shift in home office, so after dinner that section of house dark, save for kitchen nightlight, vertical blinds being drawn to keep out excess winter cold, left open 3 seasons. Most houseplants sitting in front of patio door grew tremendously past 2 yrs ... must be light or temps [maybe sneaking snacks from fridge]?

That being said, can anyone give me exact names/species of our 4 Bonsai and care tips if own same? Unsure if our Bonsai need repotting as containers are Costa Farms couture [plain plastic], and it appears roots/ base of junipers a bit exposed or maybe just my 'new Bonsai mommy' imagination? Forum contains so much info, it tends to overwhelm at first read.

Everyone enjoy the coming week ... count your blessings ... keep in touch!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Junipers are cold hardy well down into the negative numbers and will NOT do well indoors. They need a period of cold dormancy. An unheated garage would be a better spot for them.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”