froggy

When to move tropicals indoors...

Ok, according to some research I should bring the trpicals in as follows:

When temps start falling below 60f (18c)
Schefflera, coffee, (orchids)

Temps below 50f (10c)
Bougainvillea, ficus, citrus

Below 40f
Bay leaf

There are probably more but I can't think of them just now...
Any opinions, corrections?

froggy

It says to move a Jade plant before it goes below 55f - that seems a bit cold...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't much grow tropicals, but I used to have a jasmine and researched it. I found that the jasmine you should leave out until temps get down to 40. It needs some exposure to cold to set buds. But then bring it in, it does not tolerate freezing.

applestar
Mod

I posted a similar list a while back, but I don't have the time o look for it right now... Just skimming through after a long day.... :wink:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Mine just come inside in September, though I may run a little late this year.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

they came in for tonight

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Mine too, most anyway. My jade starts are still out and none the worse for wear apparently. I need to make some room inside before I can bring them in.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kdodds wrote:Mine too, most anyway. My jade starts are still out and none the worse for wear apparently.
My Jades had never flowered for me until I started leaving them out for the fall. Whether it was the lower temperatures or the diminishing day length, I cannot say but that is what it took to trigger flowers in my Jades.

One interesting side note, last year I had done some late pruning and had some cuttings waiting to get planted. I never did get to them(I have too many now anyway) but they stayed outside in the unheated garage all winter and by the time spring rolled around they looked like they would root if I planted them but I never did. These cuttings were not fully hydrated and by the time the weather got really cold I'd say they were rather desiccated. Perhaps that is what allowed them to (apparently) survive temperatures that would, presumably, be injurious to this species.

I am beginning to think that Jades are more hardy than most people give them credit for.

Norm

toscgwsndiqz
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:
kdodds wrote:Mine too, most anyway. My jade starts are still out and none the worse for wear apparently.
I am beginning to think that Jades are more hardy than most people give them credit for.

Norm
This is true for most tropicals. My winters are not as cold. I have over wintered tropicals in a cold frame for 30 years. As long as they stay on the liquid side of 32F they will survive. When the night temps go below freezing I use a small heater, depending on how low it will go and the # of hours of freezing until sunup. Some look unhappy but they survive. I find that Fukien tea needs to be a little warmer and Ming Aralia above 45F.

Chinese elm and juniper stay out all winter.

joedes3

I just brought my tropicals in for the winter. They are now in the basement under lights.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Same here. Did some pruning back too. They needed haircuts and they fit together under the lights better. Now the light provided will reach into the lower branches - not blocked by the more vigorous top growth.

Don't forget that they love humidity and your house is dry.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Jades are definitely more hardy than most frost tender tropicals. I still have a few starts that are outside and still doing well. We haven't dropped to freezing yet, but definitely close. AND, they're not protected at all.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”