lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Pine Straw Mulch? Good/Bad?

Will try this on overall Vegetable Forum, did not get any response at Tomato

Any bad effects to using pine straw to mulch around tomatoes and other veggies? I have a lot that needs a home. I plan to heavy mulch the walkways, but thought the tomatoes might benefit as well. The mulch is about 60% pine straw and 40% other leaves.

Any dangers?

rkunsaw

I use a lot of pine straw around my beds but don't like to use it "in" the garden. The only problem I have is it takes so long to decompose and when the growing season is over it will still be there to clog up the tines on the tiller.

Mulching your tomatoes with it would be fine if you can rake most of it away before tilling again. I might try some around my tomatoes, I sure have plenty of it.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I have a whole bunch of this stuff, too, from fresh needles to 5-yr-old compost.

So is there anything it's especially _bad_ for? Just so's I don't make a huge mistake?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

there is a theory that pine needles and oak leaves (for example) can make a soil more acidic.

and there's a theory that's totally bunk.

take your choice.

I go for a stroll in the forest, I see moss going gangbusters, moss likes acid, pines and oaks in abundance, I make a connection. those who write books and do not walk in forests have other ideas.

but that pine needles are slow to decompose is not challenged by most "normal" people. the resin, etc., make it go slow.

they make a great yard mulch - frankly I think pine needles do not decompose as "fast" as for example double ground hardwood mulch.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree that pine mulch does make soil acidic.

Anyway I see no problem with it. It might have a lot of weed seeds though.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:I agree that pine mulch does make soil acidic.

Anyway I see no problem with it. It might have a lot of weed seeds though.
I am primarily using it around tomatoes in big containers, to help with soil moisture and weed control. After season I will just remove it and discard. Also, last year I feel like I had issues with the containers getting too hot. They are in an area where I could surround them with pine straw, so I may do that as well.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am giving it a try. And this will help visualize where I may put some straw around the pots. Not sure if that will help them stay cool, or cause more heat.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Looks good! It is definitely worth a try!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”