bneal817
Newly Registered

where should I plant my garden?

I am planning for a garden next spring and I have two options: inside my fenced in backyard, or behind the fenceline where it is still my property.

concern: if I plant it inside the fence, I am worried about my dog (a big lab mix) possibly trampling or chewing up my plants. if I plant it outside the fence, I am worried about insects and other critters from the little wooded creek back there.

any advice?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Labs! The ever-energetic pooches! :lol:

Labs can be stopped by a low fence ... at least that's true of mine. The only time he expends the energy to jump a barrier is when he's after a squirrel. Even then, he only goes over the barrier if the squirrel goes over ... otherwise, he goes around.

Planting your garden inside your fenced back yard won't stop insect attacks, but it might discourage other critters from the wooded area from sampling your produce. If it were my garden, I'd put it within the fenced back yard, and surround it with a low fence, about 2 feet high. JMO. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Other consideration would be SUN exposure.

Obviously I haven't seen your site, but between a fence and a wooded creek, sounds off hand like it might get less hours of sun.

Depends on what you want to grow and where you are, but most veggies and herbs and a lot of flowers benefit from all day sun...

Just another thing to think about.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'd put it in the fence as well. Controlling your dog is easier than controlling wild animals.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What about both? You could put a small fence in your yard to keep out 'el poochie. Than put up a small fence on the outside as well to keep out certain critters. You could even put it up against the back side of the fence thus building less fence out back.

That is probably what I would do, I always wish I had more room for more garden.

bneal817
Newly Registered

thank you all for the advice :D

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”