mfedukovich

Need advice on baking soda mix for powdery mildew please

We've had a lot of rain this year in southern WV, and lately the nights have been unusually cool. Our garden, for the most part, is doing good but we have some powdery mildew on one of our squash plants. :cry: I don't want to use chemicals on the garden and I've read a baking soda mixture works well for controlling and preventing this. I would like to try it but I'm unsure about a good recipe. I've read to use everywhere from 1 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water and some suggest adding dish soap. I've also read that too much baking soda can burn the leaves.

Does anyone have any advice on this? My neighbor suggests just to dig up the plant but I'd like to try to save it if I can.

Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

MFedukovich

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's the recipe I've seen for this:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

Be sure the soap is soap, not detergent, which can harm your plants.

Helpful Gardener has also been recommending a solution of milk and water as a fungus treatment.

splat42069

I have had the same problem with my zuchuini plants. I have been doin 30-70 milk/water in a squirt bottle recipe. Do that and soak both side of the affected leaves 1x a week. Cut back all dead material due to this and keep doin its medicine.

My plant is still kinda affected but its producing males and females like they are goin out of style.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”