sbraybon
Newly Registered

Bonsai Identification - Pine

Hi all,

I've recently inherited a bonsai and am doing some research as to how best to care for it. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a Juniper, though the leaves appear to be a darker shade of green than other pictures I have seen. Am I correct in thinking it is a Juniper? 'm hoping to confirm this so I make sure to look after it adequately!

Following the advice of posters on other threads I've moved it outside and not over-watered. I live in Beijing - which is in general a very dry climate which might cause some concern. Also, the winters can be very cold here - is it better to bring it inside at those times?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

SB

[img]https://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/sambraybon/Bonsai1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/sambraybon/Bonsai2.jpg[/img]

uzeyr

WOW u have a nice tree there and it is not a juniper its a pine if u ask me I would say its a white pine
form what I know it must be kept outside even in the winter only bring it in the house to display it for a day max
its a relativley easy tree and I think it needs pruning or it will loose the lovely shape
its looks healthy keep the soil moist but not wet keep it in full sun and on very hot days check if it feels dry water if it feels moist wait till its feels dry
thats all I hope that helped :D

IndorBonsai

Very nice tree!!
Do a little reading up on it. I don't know for sure what kind of pine it is but all pine tree care is about the same. Pine trees grow best outside because they need plenty of natural sunshine and temperature changes associated with the seasons.
More bonsai die due to improper watering than any other cause. Do not water the tree if the soil is damp, most if not all pines need a drying period between waterings. Bonsai generally need to be watered every couple of days, but there is no set schedule. When the topsoil feels dry, water thoroughly and deeply.
Pinch new shoots in spring to 1/3 of their length. Do not use scissors, because cut shoots will turn brown and most likely die.

sbraybon
Newly Registered

Thanks both for your advice - much appreciated. It really is a beautiful tree so I'm going to gontinue my research and hope that all goes well!

uzeyr

Do not use scissors, because cut shoots will turn brown and most likely die.
umm what do you mean when u say that ? is pinchung better then getting a clean cut with a scissor ? I would have thought the scissor would have been a better choice please explain why before I end up doing somthing wrong

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

IB is correct, candling is best done without scissors as you break at a natural point just above the next set of needles without cutting them, so do it by hand here...

I believe the tree is a Japanese white pine or Pinus parviflora. I have a bunjingi style of this species and love to pinch it as the sap has an almost lemony smell to it that stays on your finger tips for hours... just did the candle on mine yesterday...

Lovely ramification, but a touch congested; some thinning might be in order... shears for that job...

HG

Return to “Bonsai Identification”