benali

Monster bird lands right near me!

So I'm on my computer, which is right up against the window that looks out over my beautiful quince bush. The quince is maybe 10 feet high and very wide, and is in bloom right now with lovely red blooms. Normally the bush is the residence of a flock of small birds, sparrows of some kind, which are always chattering and flittering about.

I notice it's quiet and look up. Wow! Right in front of me, maybe 6 or 8 feet away through the window, is the biggest bird I've ever seen. It's sitting right on a big quince branch, which bends under its weight. I would say the bird is 20 - 24 inches tall while perching.

The bird notices me looking at him, so he leans forward, opens his wings, and flaps off. I would estimate the wingspan at over 3 feet.

I'm thinking this must be an eagle it's so huge. I can't imagine some other bird being so big! When I look it up online, I find out its a "red tailed hawk." According to Wikipedia, they reach 18 to 26" in length, and have wingspans of between 41 to 56".

You can see great pictures at the Wikipedia entry here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_hawk

After the raptor left, all the little sparrows came back. Only then do I realize they probably left due to the big bird.. nobody felt like being its meal, I would guess.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience? This one is pretty unique for the suburbs.

applestar
Mod

That must have been so cool! :D

Nothing like that, but on several occasions, I've noticed how birds seem to "feel" your gaze -- especially the more nervous migrating birds and new arrivals. What's been so amusing is that if I'm using binoculars, theY seem to react the MOMENT I've adjusted the knobs and things to get them FOCUSED.

LIcenter

benali, are you sure it was a Red-tail hawk?

ImageDSC_0028 by LIcenter, on Flickr

The reason I ask, is it would be very unusual for an RT to do that. They are soarers by nature, and would rather have a nice tasty bunnie snatched from a field as opposed to a tiny bird. The photo above is a Coopers hawk that frequents my yard along with a Sharp-Shinned (no photo as yet) that looks similar, but smaller.
The Cooper fits with your description in size, a habits. Now if you truely did see a RT, I bow in your greatness for being in the right place and time. It would, without a doubt be a golden moment for me. O:)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Some hawks like to entertain themselves (ravens too). Scaring the liver out of a flock of sparrows will do inna pinch.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Sorry Licenter, but both Red-tails & Red-shoulder hawks are more than likely to perform as the OP experienced. I have both here & have experienced same. In fact, in my experience, it's the smaller hawks that tend to be more skittish.

benali

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Licenter, I hear you about the Cooper's hawk. When I first researched pictures online, I discovered the Coopers and RT hawks look very similar. It took me awhile but I eventually concluded it was definitely an RT. I got a pretty good look at it, being so close... though I admit I was so startled I could be wrong! Also, interestingly, a huge nature-forest preserve is about 8 or 10 miles away from my house that is known for its RT hawks (people actually travel there to see them). I'm guessing that 8 or 10 miles is probably not much distance to a bird that big. But who knows, I've sure never heard of anyone else here in the suburbs having seen these flying around near their house. Maybe they stay away from populated areas?

Also, get this.... this morning about 6:30am as I travelled to work what did I see but ... a red fox! It was really skinny and it was trotting along real fast between two houses. Now I've seen foxes around the 'burbs before, usually in large fields or nature preserve areas. But never have I seen one running around peoples' yards like this.

Guess I'm getting lucky in my old age. I don't go camping much anymore, so the nature gods are being kind and sending the interesting creatures to my house. Ha!

LIcenter

Excellent news on your research of the RT. I belong to a backyard science group, and eBird. Let me tell ya they can be quite the doubtful bunch to say the least. Back in February I saw a Black vulture gliding not more than ten feet above me. This is not a common bird in my area at all. While I was not able to get a pic of it, I did remember all I was taught of the things to look for. Did my research, and was very sure it was a BV. Reported it to eBird as a rare sighting, and still have not gotten credit for it even though there have been a few verified sights on Long Island. Not sure where you live, but the Red fox is becoming a very common site just outside city lines, and in urban areas. But to actually see one of natures creatures in the wild is a most awesome experience, to say the least.
I've only belonged to the backyard science group for roughly 16 months now, and they have really taught me how important it it to keep your eyes open to nature at all times. We also keep a yearly log on what species of bird is seen in ones backyard, including flyovers. So far in just five short months I have logged 47 different species of birds! Back when I had my head in the sand I'd be lucky to tell you I've seen maybe five different species at best.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Cornell is puzzling & odd re: bird sightings.

Every year I do their winter "Backyard Bird Watch", & every year I report Fox Sparrows & White-crowned Sparrows - both common Virginia winter visitors. And every year they question my reportings as "rare" sightings. What makes it extremely funny is that both birds are clearly stated on THEIR OWN WEBSITE as common to Virginia.

Somehow I doubt the Cornell birding website has anything serious to do with Cornell's scientific community whatsoever. I find it a trifle scammy.

LIcenter

Marlingardener, Osprey are making a major comeback on LI, along with the Bald Eagle. We are also now seeing many Turkey vultures here, when not more than five years ago there were none. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the BV becomes a common sight here as well.

GardeningCook, Fox sparrows, and White crowns are very abundant here all year round, but I gotta say; The fox sparrow is one of my favorites to watch. I call them the little "Mexican Hat Dancers" because of the way they jump back and forth on the ground looking for food. Most entertaining!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Fox Sparrows are one of my favorite sparrow as well! So attractive & easy to spot in the winter "crowd" due to their size & distinctive coloring. They're only winter residents here, & I only get to see them at our tray deck feeders when there's snow cover or extreme cold. And oddly enough, only one or two at a time (& usually just one); no groups like with the rest of the gang. I do look forward to their visits though.

Oh, & as a born & bred Long Islander (Setauket/Stony Brook transplanted to Virginia), I do enjoy your posts! How fun that vultures are showing up on Long Island! While they should be the State bird here in VA (except for extreme weather, a day doesn't pass without them out & about), they weren't around at all on LI back in the 90's.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My living room window is about 20' from a group rose bushes. About this time last year when I stopped at that window, there was a Sharp-shinned hawk standing on the walkway staring into those bushes.

After a second, he went tearing into those bushes! He stayed on the ground, just running. He failed to catch the sparrow.

We have falcons here but I think it's mostly the sharp-shinned that come into the cities to kill pigeons. The "Pigeon Hawk" shows up in the forests and most everywhere. One came cruising through a pine and fir forest when I was walking one day. He came from behind me and I must have been as much a surprise to him as he to me - just a few feet from my shoulder then gone in a gray flash of a second!

I've wondered how the speed of the flight of the Prairie Falcon was ever recorded. I have seen them quite often but it must have only been on breezy days. They fly like kites in those conditions. Beautiful but not what you expect from a falcon.

Steve

LIcenter

I have Peregrine falcons darting through the trees in my backyard. I'd swear they have Hummingbird blood in them, the way they can turn on a dime. Their claim to fame is grabbing birds out of mid-air.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I love Raptors. The are so majestic.

I have a pair of Red Breasted Hawks nesting near by. They visit frequently and perch on the ridge line of G's shop or on the power lines.

In south Louisiana they are year round residents. It is not unusual to see them in urban areas as long as there are lots of trees and a nearby water supply.

We have a camp on Toledo Bend - a reservoir on the Louisiana, Texas state line. It is not unusual to see bald eagles soaring over our favorite fishing spots.

The Atchafalaya Basin, a 20 minute drive from home, has one of the largest concentrations of nesting Bald Eagles in the country. They are so prevalent that I can spot Eagle nest just a few minutes away from the boat dock. Their majesty takes my breath away.

Enjoy the visits from your raptors.

Lucky you to have them in your back yard.

LIcenter

A week or so back, I'm watching this Mourning dove strut his stuff to a new found lady friend. All of a sudden there was an explosion of feathers. Like a thunderbolt this Sharp-shinned came in, grabbed Mr Strutter, and was gone in a blink of an eye. Nothing left but a pile of feathers. It was truly amazing to see that not three feet from me.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”