opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Theatre?

I went to see Hello Dolly the other day and was very impressed. Anyone else go to the theatre?

Irie

Yes, I love the theatre. I go up to New York for business every fall and always fit in a few plays while there. Last year I saw Mamma Mia! and Curtains - both very good. We also go down to Jacksonville and go to the Jacksonville Theatre - we saw Monty Python's Spamalot in March and are going to see Cats next month - it was nearly as good as some of the Broadway plays in New York. So far my favorites have been Aida, 42nd Street and the Wizard of Oz.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I saw Percy D'Angelino at my local community theatre in the small town I was living in last year. It was pretty good. I really liked Guys and Dolls which I saw several years ago. Phantom of the Opera at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver was amazing. And Showboat at the Ford theatre for the arts was really neat.

I also saw The Messiah with a 150 person choir and three tenors. That was amazing.

I don't know why but, when I listen to opera I find operatic music that I can understand ie. in english annoying. However, if it is a foreign language, I don't understand what they are saying and just here the amazing music and really, really enjoy it.

I tried listening to an opera in Jazz once and really didn't enjoy that. Each to their own I guess.

I'd like to actually go to an opera sometime.

webmaster
Site Admin

Die Fledermaus in English is kind of fun. I saw the Dead Man Walking Opera and the part where a jailor swears in front of the nun and the baritone playing the part of the warden sings, "Shut upppppp! She's a (expletive) nunnnnnnn!" brought down the house. Great staging, very dramatic.

Opa, that said, the Italian operas are a load of fun.
Last edited by webmaster on Wed May 28, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Marrying a theatre major has put me in good stead to feed my live theatre jones. Been to Stratford, Ont., several times to see the musicals; Phantom at the Pantages in Toronto; Miss Saigon at the Prince of Wales in Toronto (very depressing but great FX); Chicago, Blue Man Group, several Cirque du Soleil shows in Vegas & elsewhere; Cats at the Fox in Detroit, Rent (ick) at the Fisher Theatre in Detroit; A Chorus Line somewhere; street theatre at the RenFest. That's all I can think of for now.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

They actually have a great theatre at my old highschool, I really should start going to their plays again. And the conservatory of music is just down the road from my place, one more thing that I simply must do is attend some of their concerts.

In the summer in Beacon Hill Park here in Victoria they have an open air stage with free orchestra concerts. Lovely. I've never actually planned on going to one of them, I always just happen across them while on a walk in the park.

Speaking of which, across Canada during the summer are countless music festivals. Just amazing, there is Blue Skies in Batter Sea Ontario (outside of Kingston), all sorts of them in Saskatoon (I went to a Celtic Music festival and a folk music festival), we musn't forget the fringe festival travelling across Canada (spent days there while in Winnipeg), and I'm sure the list goes on...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I love theater! My son and daughter-in-law both work on Broadway in NYC. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I was the soothsayer in Julius Caeser in Highschool too. That was fun! Broadway, I'd like to go there someday. We walked by it in New York when I went there in my youth. But, we didn't visit. We were trying to get a cab.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Belated Happy Canada Day, opabinia51, and the rest of you northern neighbours! Was offline this weekend for a much needed break. Opabinia, don't "should" all over yourself, just do it! I'm still working on that myself, but have enjoyed many pleasant surprises so far in the "just do it" category. I'm tired of "should-ing" all over myself.

Happy Gardening,
Wing

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Putting in my 2p for Menopause the Musical. Will go see it again, anytime! So, who's coming with me (pay for your own darn ticket).

Sienna Dawn

I was hooked when my high-school music teacher took us to DC on a field trip. We sang at her father's church, then as a surprise, we got to go to the Kennedy Center and see Showboat. I was mesmerized to say the least. This was back in the ahem... 70's...ahem.

My daughter is a fan as well. Unfortunately we live in this small town and are not near to a 'big city theatre' so...we have to wait for the traveling theatre companies to come near us. So far...

Les Miserables
Cats
A Chorus Line
Jesus Christ Superstar
Oklahoma
Phantom of the Opera
Cirque d' Soleil 'O' (we were in Vegas for that one)

Here's hoping for many more in the future!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Man! You got to see "O"?!! I am sooo jealous. Been trying to see that for years when we visit Vegas but no luck. Spose if we don't try sitting together we'd get in, but that's half the fun! Would like to see "Lion King" someday, and "Avenue Q". Would like to take the spousal unit to see "Legally Blonde: the Musical", too. Went to Stratford, ONT., for several productions like "Carousel"--wherein I kept saying: "Oh, that's where that came from!" All those years I kept thinking my mom made up stuff like "Bushel & A Peck". Saw "Guys & Dolls", some others that escape me. (Mind like a steel sieve, I tell ya!)

Sienna Dawn

wingdesigner wrote:Man! You got to see "O"?!! I am sooo jealous. Been trying to see that for years when we visit Vegas but no luck. Spose if we don't try sitting together we'd get in, but that's half the fun! Would like to see "Lion King" someday, and "Avenue Q". Would like to take the spousal unit to see "Legally Blonde: the Musical", too. Went to Stratford, ONT., for several productions like "Carousel"--wherein I kept saying: "Oh, that's where that came from!" All those years I kept thinking my mom made up stuff like "Bushel & A Peck". Saw "Guys & Dolls", some others that escape me. (Mind like a steel sieve, I tell ya!)

My daughter had some of those "*that's* where that come from" moments as well... you want more? Read some Shakespere... that'll give you a few!

I've seen the movie version of Guys & Dolls... would *love* to see the stage production. There's tons more we want to see, but the opportunities have not presented themselves.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Usually the movie versions are different from the stage productions. And yes, on another forum I posted a buncha quotes from Macbeth, etc., and hardly anybody called me on them. (It was a game we played.)

Sienna Dawn

...and yes, on another forum I posted a buncha quotes from Macbeth, etc...

Somehow, it comes as no suprise. :wink:

Quotes from shakespeare... hmmm... now *that* would be an interesting game indeed.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Stay 'tooned, if Webmaster permits, have lots of winter games up my sleeve. 8)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Somehow, it comes as no suprise. :wink:
Whut? (Whistling innocently)

webmaster
Site Admin

:hide:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Webmaster: Sigh. Fine! Skulking off mumbling to m'self (mmmmbmbmbmb)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”