Susan W
Greener Thumb

Olive oil query

I have a simple question on olive oil. As it happens, dil likes it, and my simple mind thought to get her a sampler package. We now have not 1, but 2 olive oil stores in my striking distance. Who would have thought the item so hot to have dedicated store?! Anyway, they cook/eat varied foods -meat, fish, grill, veggies, salad etc. She's back in school, so income limited, and a $25-30 package would be a nice gift.
Stopped at one store and they have the Gift Boxes, ready to go. (I'm not the 1st one to think this is good gift!!) Stopped at 2nd store, smaller much less posh. He has the small bottles, fills to one's request from the container. Then make up a pak as you want, and clearly I'm not the only one doing this. He gave me the list, 15+ balsamic vinegars, varying flavors, 5 oils, and 12+ infused oils.
On the oil thinking to go with one straight (greek), and flavors? Yikes! Rosemary, herb, lemon. Then there's bacon -yuk-(is the a Memphis thing or universal?), butter??, jalapeno -no way

Any suggestions from those more oil tuned than me?

webmaster
Site Admin

The best olive oil is best for dipping, salads, and as a condiment like as part of an appetizer on a piece of bread. Italian oils have received bad press in years past because of corrupt companies selling low quality olive oil or oil mixed with cheaper non-olive oils. I've lost confidence in Italian oils.

I believe a great deal of olive oil comes from Spain, including some that is marketed as Italian. There are some good oils from Spain, a country that takes food every bit as seriously as Italy. Arbequina is a favorite olive variety. California has good olive groves. Many of the varieties there are Spanish varieties because it was a tradition started by the Franciscan missionaries hundreds of years ago.

I rarely cook with olive oil. But when I do I use a decent oil from Spain. Olive oil has a low burn point, meaning it's not good for frying because it will burn and smoke. So when cooking, the quality is not super important. Olive oil, for me, is something that is best enjoyed uncooked.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

If they really don't know their prefereces, the gift pack may be a good idea. My favorite place to get olive oil is Trader Joes. The one I like the most, for everyday cooking is the liter of Greek, but for simple salads or something else where the olive oil is a main flavor, the California Estate oil, in the half liter bottle, is absolutely fantastic, though more expensive. I'm sure you'll find favorites like this wherever you are buying it. I have never been one to buy flavored oils. Why bother, when the herbs and garlic are always available fresh! And, like you, I thought that some of those other flavors are ridiculous.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There may need to be "15+ balsamic vinegars" for me to find one I like. I thought I was fully comfortable with different vinegar until I tried balsamic. There must be "degrees of balsam" for some of us wimps.

With the vinegar in DD's gift to me last Christmas, was a Chardonnay Garlic. I thought it might be another vinegar and avoided it for months. It was not ... and it was a good cooking oil when I finally screwed up enuf courage to pull out the cork ...

Steve

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for discussion, and keep it coming! I figure to do this next week. Keeping selections down to 5- 6, the selection is daunting! As for fresh herbs to add, I am the source, and most are 'hibernating' now. On the positive side, DiL will be surprised and thrilled.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I rarely use any vegetable oil other than olive oil. G likes a "Robust" Extra Virgin First Cold Pressed olive oil. American olive oils are usually not as strictly monitored. Imported oils are governed by their regions. An olive oil from a specific region - Italian, Spanish, Greek - will provide you with a much better flavor profile. Look for Extra Virgin First Cold Pressed. A premium shop will allow you to taste an assortment of oils.

A very thoughtful, lovely gift idea.

imafan26
Mod

It is important to get the extra virgin olive oil from a reputable company. The adulterated ones are usually much cheaper. Extra virgin olive oil comes from the first press. After the best oil is pressed, the seeds are heated and that is where pure olive oil comes from, it is more bitter and of a lower quality.

I think digits has the best way to choose olive oil. It is a delicate oil with a low smoke point and the best way to sample it is with some good bread. At finer Italian restaurants bread is served with a cruet of oil on the table instead of butter. Trader Joe's products are usually very good.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”