tomf
Super Green Thumb

New tool for working in they yard.

I needed a longer pole saw so I broke down and got this one, it is one of the professional stihl ones. It telescopes from 7 1/2 feet to 11 1/2 feet so you can reach 16 or 17 feet up. I have tons of trees to trim up, the amount of tools I need to get the job done here is staggering, and they need to be pro ones as the cheap ones don't do the job well; I am not just tool crazy.

DDMcKenna

That is a handy little saw! We have one at work and I used it once. It's amazing how much easier it is to do the job with the right tool. Better than wasting so much time with cheaper tools.

imafan26
Mod

I would love that, but I am getting my exercise and my *)(^&(*^%$%#%% frustration out using the manual pruner. I don't have to prune too much because I prune my trees often.

I love the power pruner, but not the 2 cycle engine and the maintenance. That is why I have an electric weed whacker. It does not have the power of a gas engine but it is not as heavy and I don't have to deal with getting out of breath trying to start it after a few months, storing gas cans, changing and cleaning the filters after 20 hours of use, and having to either run the machine until it runs out of gas or have to struggle to empty the tank when the gas spoils.

All I have to do with the electric weed whacker is not trim the grass when it is wet, or the weed whacker smokes. Try not to get anything big and long like ti leaves caught in the motor or it jams and burns. Clean the grass out of the breathing holes and undercarriage when I am done. And last but not least &^(*&%%R&$^%$ at the damn spool.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a hand pole saw like that but it gets limited use.
At first I put a chain saw attachment on an old weed eater I got from a hardware store but it was wimpy. All my hardware brand weed eaters were to wimpy for what I needed, they were fine for my 3/4 acre yard in the city; so I got the biggest weed eater Sthil makes. I got a Sthil chain saw attachment to put on my Sthil weed eater, it works well but is not long enough, so I got this new one. I have a bunch of things that go on the Sthil weed eater. I don't really use the two older hardware store weed eater any more, to wimpy, it takes to long to get any work done.
There are some battery powered yard tools out there that look like they may work, dragging an electric cord around is no fun. Sthil makes some, they are homeowner ones but I bet they work well. I have over 21 acres so it takes powerful tools to deal with this size yard.
You can replace the string spool with a head that holds plastic blades, I have one it works well. I also have some metal blades for heavy work.

imafan26
Mod

I tried to replace the spool but apparently the other heads were designed for gas weedeaters and they do not fit on an electric one unless there is a way to jury rig it.

I don't have 21 acres, I have a 5400 sq ft lot with about 3000 sf of yard so while dragging around an electrical cord is a "drag", I don't have a lot of grass to weed whack since I have limited grass and have more pots that I air condition with the weed whacker instead.

If I even had 1 acre, I would probably go for the power tools too.

Endlers
Newly Registered

tomf wrote:I needed a longer pole saw so I broke down and got this one, it is one of the professional stihl ones. It telescopes from 7 1/2 feet to 11 1/2 feet so you can reach 16 or 17 feet up. I have tons of trees to trim up, the amount of tools I need to get the job done here is staggering, and they need to be pro ones as the cheap ones don't do the job well; I am not just tool crazy.

Thank you for this post. This was very informative as I have been contemplating buying one to trim some low property tree's which I want to keep but keep at a reasonable height.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”