JohnB

Fig Tree Damage

I know this is an over reaction, but I have been hoping this fig tree would take off for several years.
After unwrapping it from its winter covering, it started to bloom well this year. Unfortunately, it was just cut by a weed wacker on its main brach.
Do I need to do anything to repair it or should I just leave it alone? Any advice welcome. Thanks.
FigTree.jpg

applestar
Mod

I’m not an expert at all, but I’ve had my fig trees - both in ground winter hardy ones as well as less hardy ones that I keep in containers and overwinter in the unheated garage once dormant in late fall.

My instinct would be to just help the tree heal by shaving off the raggedy edges with very sharp sterilized knife or chisel so the would has clean-cut edges all around, then *maybe* apply wound sealer (I bought japanese bonsai types).

I tend not to use sealers but wasps keep boring into pruning cuts on my figs, so I’ll be trying on a few.

My in-ground fig has healed over from split bark in the lower parts of the trunk — presumably from those extra deep freeze we’ve had in the past.

Even if upper portion of a fig dies, new shoots an grow from the roots. So as long as yours is not grafted or something (do they graft figs?) I imagine the tree will recover somehow.

… in this case, the tree isn’t girdled so the fig will sort it out. You may end up with new bud formation and growth just below the wound as well.

JohnB

Thanks much for the advice.

Return to “All Other Fruit”