Garden06
Newly Registered

Strawberries & Blueberries

How does strawberries & blueberries grow in those big barrel containers?
Do they do better in the ground? Any and all information would be much appreciated!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about big barrel containers but, I would think that it would be the same as growing strawberries and blueberries in any container. I've never done blueberries in a container so, can't really comment on that.

Strawberries do well both in containers and in the ground. Blueberries are best planted with at least 2 to 3 different varieties in the same area so, if you had a container that was large enough, go for it.

Garden06
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help I will try it!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome, happy gardening!

aqh88
Cool Member

For growing blueberries in pots or barrels try Sunshine Blue. It self polinates and does not need a 2nd blueberry variety or even 2 of the same plant to get blueberries. It also gets 4' high max and someone said their plant is only 18" high on year 2 but producing plenty of blueberries already. It also tolerates higher ph soil than most blueberries. Of my 3 plants it's the only one that is still happily growing green leaves, flowers, and even berries already. I'm hoping the other 2 make it but otherwise I'm going to replace them with 2 more Sunshine Blue. I got mine from parkseed which lists it as growing in zones 5-9 but I've talked to several people that have it growing inside provided you have enough light and room for a big pot or barrel.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Aq, no blueberry plant needs a second strain for production but, they all have higher yields and grow much better with one or more strains but, thanks for the information. Sounds like a nice strain.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Opa, I have to disagree with you. There are some cultivars of blueberries that are self pollinating, but most aren't.
I quote Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening - "Because most blueberries are not self-fertile, you must plant at least two different cultivars to get fruit, and three are even more effective for good cross-pollination."
Also, quoting From the Ground Up - "All of today's hybrid blueberries need to be planted with a second variety that flowers at the same time to ensure cross-pollination."

I would plant two different varieties just to be on the safe side, and then it doesn't matter if it's self-fertile or not. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'll have to take your word for that Val because from what I've heard you just get a better crop with one or more cultivar. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “All Other Fruit”