desjes
Newly Registered

New Fruit Tree..New gardener

We recently had a house built in FL and really wanted to have fruit trees. We had a lemon, lime and orange tree in the backyard (some shade in morning, mosly sunny in afternoon). They all flowered beautifully about a month ago. Now I have lost all my flowers, the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. Help...I don't want to lose my trees.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Been colder lately? Wet? Dry? Windy?

Lots of reasons they will drop leaves in winter; I know they have been cold in S.C. the past few nights...

HG

underthemagnolia

I had the same problem with my Meyer Lemon tree. It's a small tree, kept in a pot because here in Georgia it can't stay outdoors year 'round.

Anyway, the flowers produced no fruit, the leaves were falling yellowing and shedding. I went to the garden center and they recommended fertilizing the soil with a dose of Osmocote and they supplementing once a week with organic liquid fertilizer when watering. In less than a month she had set 5 lemons (small tree remember) and is now clearly a much happier plant. Each of the lemons is now about the size of the first joint of my pointer finger and she's producing a new round of flowers.

I hope this works for you as well.

Grey
Greener Thumb

It could be a nutriton issue. I don't know how often growers feed their crops there, and maybe once the trees are a certain size it isn't so difficult for the tree to get the nutrients it needs. Florida is nearly all sand... that said, what was on your land before your development went in? Could be something in the soil (sand.. lol... I'm from Florida) - I'd take some samples and get it tested at your local extention office. You can even send the samples to Gainesville if you like, they have a really good office there.

Return to “All Other Fruit”