BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Mean Green Plant Eating Machine?

Ok so maybe it doesn't eat the plants but I can't find any other reason I'd be finding these large beetle looking bugs on my plants.. this particular one was on a canna stock... I've seen a dead one in the dirt near my mini roses .. are these good or bad bugs? Should I be worried?

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/P1010614.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

It looks like some kind of a juvie (juvenile/nymph) stinkbug/shield bug.
If it is, they suck plant juice and in mass numbers, can cause real havoc. Have you seen more or clusters of shiny metallic eggs?

The kind I get is Bown Marmorated Stinkbug.

Are your roses treated with a systemic insecticide? Wondering what killed it. Note that they tend to fall/scramble off and PLAY dead. You can use that to your advantage and let them jump off into a container of soapy water.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree on the juvie stink bug. Here's a pic for comparison. The lighting is different, so the pics aren't exactly alike, but all the details are there:

[img]https://www.lesliebulion.com/images/2010_sept_juv_s-330.jpg[/img]

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Just wanted to follow up on this topic... with all of your help I have tracked down the bug that I have in my garden. The insect in the photo I posted is a Immature southern green stink bug.

Without your guidance I would have never been able to pin point which type of insect it actually was. I do not use insecticide in my garden, we do however have alot of stray cats around that I'm sure have their fun with the insects. other then that the only other thing I can think may have killed it was blasting the rose bushes on "jet" setting with water to attempt to relieve them of all the aphids.

I always end up noticing the bad insects in my garden. I figure if I just leave it all be that nature itself with eventually weed out a majority of the bad.. so far I have earwigs, aphids, and stinkbugs.. no fun at all. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

May not be as bad as it sounds. The earwigs are actually omnivores, eating some plant matter (often dead/ decaying) and some aphids and other insects. The aphids don't harm plants, if they are present in small numbers. If the plant is covered in them, they can suck the life out of it. But they are slow and stupid and just sit there and let you squish them.

Do you have birds in your garden? Put up some bird feeders and bird baths and your feathered friends will help out with the insect problems.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”