tomf
Super Green Thumb

The girls are getting used to me.

Last night just before dark I went out to the West lawn and there were four deer eating the grass. They moved just a small distance and continued eating. I talked to them and they would look at me from time to time. The deer have figured out I am not going to hurt them. Now if I could just get them not to eat the plants I do not want them to.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Some deer have no respect!!! :) Here you talk to them, and then they eat your plants! It is nice to see them, especially when they have their fawns, BUT, like you say if they would only not eat your plants! Before we moved here, we were on a farm not far from a cattle feedlot, and all the deer congrigated there at night to feed on the hay, silage etc. Were in beautiful shape for a hunter! They were lucky none of us around there hunted. I don't know exactly how many deer they had there, but there sure were a lot of them. Too bad they do so much damage to a garden.

tedly
Cool Member

Good luck with that tomf. Those deer are going to love your garden. I almost ran over a baby bunny with the lawnmower then saved it when it darted for the road. I put him back where he was when I finished mowing and told him as payment for saving his life, he was to leave my garden alone. Bunnies don't listen very well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Deer are beautiful animals, but a pestilence in the garden. I have a gardener friend who has a herd of 9 of them coming around his yard!

I don't have deer in my garden any more, but my previous residence I did. They would eat EVERYTHING and not leave any for me. Put up fences/ deer netting! But I guess you can let them be on your lawn. Maybe you won't have to mow?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”