BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Will these plants attract bats?? :O

Hi There! :D I'm wondering about a couple plants that I have/want and was wondering if they attract bats. ( I don't want bats in my backyard lol ) Birds and butterflies are great but bats I can do without :wink: The two main ones I am wondering about are:

1. Jade Vine

2. Tacca chantrieri

Other plants that I am growing are Lantana, Oleander, Bougainvillea, Mostera Deliciousa, Puya B., China Berry, Jacaranda, and Canna Lily.

Any ideas about bats being attracted to these plants would be great thanks!

applestar
Mod

That's FUNNY!! :lol:
I'm TRYING to attract bats to my backyard where I've put up a nice multiple family bat condo. If there are plants that attracts bats, I want to hear about it! :wink:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

lol it got me thinking when I got my jade vine because it says that bats feed off the jade vine nectar :shock: so I'm kinda worried that bats might start to show up to get some lmfao! LMFAO And as far as the other plant goes its nicknamed "black bat flower" which also has me a bit worried lol!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You might see a few. Nectar feeding bats are rare in California, though. They're more common in AZ and in Mexico. They do migrate long distances, so as I mentioned, you might see a few now and then. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

black bat flower is so named because it looks like a bat. Has nothing to do with attracting them. The common bats are insect feeders, especially mosquitos, so wouldn't be attracted to any particular plant. I'd love to have more bats around to eat some of the millions of mosquitos around here!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanks Every1 for the help! I've got insect feeding birds in my backyard :D They are gorgeous so no need for bats here lol Though I must admit some bats are pretty adorable :D

[img]https://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu25/achristing/animals/0637636500.jpg[/img]

microcollie
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:That's FUNNY!! :lol:
I'm TRYING to attract bats to my backyard where I've put up a nice multiple family bat condo. If there are plants that attracts bats, I want to hear about it! :wink:
When I put up my bat houses, I also planted scented plants that bloom at night (nicotiana, Ipomoea alba, etc) which attract the bugs that bats feed on. Worked lika a charm. Outdoor lighting has the same effect, attracting the bugs which in turn attract the bats. Once they are established in your garden, they tend to stay around as long as they have a food source and a well-maintained home. I have probably close to 100 bats living in my 10 houses around the property.
I love having my bats around and can't imagine wanting to keep them away. (Except if you have any small openings into your house, then they'll move in there instead f the intended housing)

applestar
Mod

GREAT SUGGESTION!!! We had some installation issues and didn't get the house up until a little late -- a month later than I wanted -- and our house was not occupied this season, but I'm hoping for a better housing market next spring.

I'll definitely concentrate on planting night bloomers next year. :D
I love the suggestion - I used to have an evening garden along the front walk. It'll be great to bring that back and not just by the front door. :wink:

shadowsmom

applestar wrote:That's FUNNY!! :lol:
This may explain why you aren't getting seeing any.
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/fungus_kills_90_percent_of_nj.html

I usually have a lot of bats but it's noticeably down this year.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”