Wort
Cool Member

How do you guys do it? How to Ship Small Trees?

How do you guys ship you plants and trees I'm on another forum for bonsai and I'm unsure how to ship small trees an such and how much it would generally cost anyone got an idea?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Wort wrote:How do you guys ship you plants and trees I'm on another forum for bonsai and I'm unsure how to ship small trees an such and how much it would generally cost anyone got an idea?
Shipping woody plants doesn't have a simple one-size-fits-all answer.

Both USPS and UPS should have ways to tell you price based on weight and package size.

Here in SE-OH, the window should be closing soon for cool enough weather and dormancy of plants to be willing to ship.

The standard I'd be willing to ship a live tree in are while the tree or sapling is still dormant so that'd be as soon as soil can be worked (to dig up the tree) maybe Feburary 1st till April 30. And again around/just after Columbus day.

I delivered my boxs to USPS or UPS on a monday and had them shipped on their 3 day (or priority mail) deal.

Smaller packages USPS has priority flat rate boxes, and they are a fair value.

Bigger (or heavier) parcels do get pricey. Lashing heavy trees into their box, and filling it with popcorn should not be an afterthought.

I'm sorry for a millionaire answer but it remains true, If you have to ask how much shipping costs, you can't afford it.

Fed-Ex will ship overnight, maybe USPS and UPS do too, but the price took my breath away!

Wort
Cool Member

4 dollars and some change it was just so much I couldn't handle it...

Runningtrails

I usually only ship small rooted seedlings or new plants that will sit fairly flat, side by side, in a standard bubble envelope. It's the only way the postage is affordable. I've had great success shipping plants like this regular postage but only do so within Canada.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”