Michaela521
Newly Registered

Installation mistake

First off thank you very much for providing this service online. I really do appreciate it.

I have a row of evergreens spread about 8 feet apart, then another row of deciduous trees 8 feet from this with a spread of 8 feet apart finally there is a row of bushes 8 feet from this one with a bush every 8 feet. So it looks somewhat like this
- - - - - - - - - -evergreens
- - - - - - - - - -deciduous
- - - - - - - - - -bushes
I think you can get a image of what I have. Every dash represents a plant.

Problem is I didn't do my research when I decided to control the weeds so I put down a black plastic sheeting to control all the weeds in this area and then I placed down 2" mulch on top. The plastic sheeting is right up too trunk of all plants. I think using this kind of sheeting was a very big mistake. I have read that you need the type of sheeting that allows water and air down into the ground. Also even with this type of sheeting you should allow atleast 6" from the trunk of the plant to allow the plant to breath.

Drat!!! How big of a mistake did I just make. The plants are all of different lengths. The shortest being 6' tall while the tallest is roughly 25' tall. What do you think I should do know. Thanks

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

How long are the rows? How many trees are you referring to?
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Michaela521
Newly Registered

Very long are they. 500 feet long by 16 feet wide. Many trees so this is a very big mistake on my part. What is the best landscaping mulch to use for plants (trees and shrubs). Some people say to use 2-4 inches of organic mulch with a landscaping fabric underneath while others say to use a 2-4 inch layer of mulch without any landscaping fabric. The landcaping fabric that I am refering to is the kind that you buy with holes in it to provide air and water penetration into the soil. Most say that organic is preferable over inorganic mulch though. The benefit of inorganic is obviously just because you won't ever have to add more to it. The plan is to rip up all that solid plastic sheeting that doesn't have any holes in it to provide air and water penetration for the trees and use one of the above methods to finish it off. Please tell me your professional opinion on what method is the best and why. Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Get a pry bar and punch LOTS of holes in the plastic. Did you use organic mulch?

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Scott - too funny!! I was just thinking to tell Michael the same thing with the plastic! :lol:
Definitely use organic mulch!!!! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Anonymous

get a sharp razor and slice the plastic in many places and the mulch on top.but the hole ideas sound great too.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Have to move the mulch to use a razor; pry bar is a one step fix...

HG

Return to “Landscaping”