Marge
Cool Member

Wasps!

Argh! I finally found out why the birds are not nesting in the bird box in my garden ... there is a little itzy bitzy wasps nest in there! :shock: What on earth can I do about it?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm all for wasp spray, myself. It has good aim and you hit what you want to. I don't care to get stung by those buggers.

Grey
Greener Thumb

(honestly, I don't know an organic solution to your question) :shock:

NZG

We get a LOT of wasp nests here on the farm, especially up the back in the forest.

I don't know of any organic method you can use, but with wasps I don't muck around.

Powder carbaryl in the nest hole. Leave for 12 hours and return, remove nest and stand on remaining 'dozy' wasps.

Marge
Cool Member

ta for all the tips, but before I could try any Retired Father was informed of the problem and turned up with his lump hammer & a spade. He hit the bird box with the lump hammer :shock: (the mad fool!), some wasps flew out, then he buried the bird box (which had a proper wasp nest inside it), very deep in the border ... so that's put paid to 'em :twisted:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like the primitive tech myself... :wink:

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It's a bit late now but, my Uncle used to wait until dark and then light a rag with some Kerosene and torch the nests around his house. Never tried it myself but, I have watch him do it and he has never once been stung.

rrrbs29

Use the wasp spray. The method my brother and I used (when we were bored kids) was to throw rocks at the huge nest in the tree. Run about 10 feet and drop to the ground and lay still and hold our breath. We never got stung (well maybe we did). Eventually we knocked down the nest. Oh what fun in the good ole days!

Grey
Greener Thumb

WD-40 works well too. (it works on all bugs, not just wasps - smells better too)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've used a can of Lysol and a lighter :twisted:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

THAT I'd like to see! A miniture flame thrower. Wow, you should do that on the 4th every year.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”