applestar
Mod

calcium hypochlorite - used buckets OK to plant edibles in?

*big sigh* I really don't like plastic in general, but given that I'm in a pinch and have run out of in-ground space to plant my tomatoes, I have decided to go ahead and use 5 gallon plastic buckets to grow the dwarf and compact tomato varieties.

Due to various reasons, I wasn't able to try to get used buckets from bakery or deli, but I've been given some empty/used buckets from elsewhere.

They are prominently printed and labeled which is a minus.... But moreover, they stink of chlorine and originally held Calcium Hypochlorite and additional 20 odd % of undisclosed ingredients.

What is this substance, and would these buckets be safe to grow edibles in? They are stacked right now. Would it help to line them up out in the sun?

ETA -- The specific product is Constant Chlor Plus

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We use Calcium Hypochlorite, is that how you spell it? It's a form or Chlorine,for the hot tub for the prevention of algae. I don't know how much is in the plastic container, seems like if you filled the container with water and left it for a few hours it should come out into the water.

Richard

applestar
Mod

That's a great suggestion. I should leave them out like that -- filled with water.

Hmmm... I think I'll move them from the patio to the driveway (it's poured concrete) and do that today.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Chlorine in tap water usually dissipates in 24 hours. Anytime I use tap water for tank top off I let it sit. I wonder in you could use dechlorinating drops for freshwater fish tanks.
I wonder if that's organic?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”