Ohio Buckeye
Newly Registered

Molasses For my Garden

I am looking to use Molasses on my garden to get the microorganisms working in my garden,
I would like to know if one could use Molasses from a Feed Mill where they mix feed.

Would it be the same as you buy from a store?
Would it be different than the store brought Molasses in what way?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi - I was just looking back at unanswered posts and found yours. Sorry it got missed. I'm another Ohio gardener. Yes, molasses is basically molasses and it doesn't matter where you buy it from. But there are different kinds of molasses and what you are looking for is unsulfured blackstrap molasses. As long as it says that, it is fine.

Good luck!

Ohio Buckeye
Newly Registered

Roger

Where do you buy yours at?

Would one need a gallon for a area of 225 sq. ft?

Does it loose any thing if it sets for a year or so?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not Roger. Roger is webmaster. All notifications go out under his name.

I don't personally use molasses except in making aerated compost tea, so I just buy it at the grocery store.

What are you using the molasses for? What is the purpose of it?

I think the molasses has a pretty long shelf life and can stay in the jar for a long time if it is not in the sun.

Ohio Buckeye
Newly Registered

What I am using Molasses for is to feed the Microorganisms in the soil.

An to improve my soil among other thing, it is also used to kill insects also.
An as a floral spray on my vegetables.

I was told not to use the Molasses from the Feed Mill.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Molasses is beneficial to feed the micro-organisms in the soil, the same way it does in the compost tea.

I think it is a myth that it is insecticidal.

By floral spray, maybe you meant foliar. I have read very mixed reports about use of molasses as foliar spray. Leaves aren't well adapted for taking up nutrients. I think the main point of foliar spraying molasses would be to increase micro-organisms on the leaf surface, which should help prevent fungal infections, but that is sheer speculation. It would leave residue behind.

Re feed mill, perhaps you are talking about this:

Feed Grade Molasses: Commercial grade molasses has sulphur and possibly other preservatives and antibiotics added to reduce fungal growth. Sulphur in most inorganic forms make excellent fungal inhibitors. Antibiotics will inhibit, kill and prevent the growth a wide range, but not all bacteria and fungi. Thus feed grade molasses is not a good choice for a biological stimulant. Care must be taken to read about the ingredients so no ugly little surprises confront you and you don't get the response you want to see.
https://www.thesoilguy.com/SG/Molasses (this is a good article about the use of molasses generally)

That is why I specified UNSULPHURED blackstrap. If what you are working for is feeding the micro-organisms, sulphur is in the wrong direction. If your Feed Mill carries the unsulphured blackstrap molasses, you can buy it. If it is feed grade, sulphured molasses, it is not what you want.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”