DeborahDenver
Newly Registered

Chickpeas (garbanzo) going yellow

I'm in Denver, Colorado and have grown chickpeas for the second time this year. Last year they did great, but his year, they are turning yellow. They're getting plenty of water and are in soil that supplemented with compost. Some are planted in the same place as last year, but most are not.

Any one with ideas on what to do...it would be great to hear from you!

Tx

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pictures might help. Instructions for posting them are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

Is the whole leaf yellow or are there still green veins in the leaves?

Yellowing can be from a number of causes, especially over watering or nutrient deficiency (which are related since over watering flushes nutrients out and makes it hard for the plant to uptake them).

It could be that your soil micro-nutrients are getting a little depleted from whatever was growing there before. The compost should help with that, but it isn't necessarily a very concentrated form of fertilizer. Since your beans are struggling, you might try adding some balanced organic fertilizer.

How big are these plants? It is not infrequent for beans to show some yellowing while they are just getting established. Young plants often outgrow that as they get better root systems (and presumably more mycorrhizae relationships established). Again a light fertilizing helps them get through this phase.

Also, it is really really hot where you are, right? I found this:

" The chickpea or garbanzo bean is a cool-season annual that requires about 100 days to reach harvest. Plant chickpeas in full sun. Chickpeas will grow in partial shade but the yield will be reduced. Chickpeas are frost tolerant but grow best where daytime temperatures range between 70 and 80º " https://harvesttotable.com/2009/04/how_to_grow_chickpeas_garbanzo/

So it may just be too hot for them.

DeborahDenver
Newly Registered

Thanks for your helpful tips! I'm thinking that it is too hot for them as we're glad when it gets down to 95. But I'll try some fertilizer and see if that helps them.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”