opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Angellica

There are several reasons to plant Angellica in the garden one is that it attracts beneficial insects including: Ladybugs; lacewings; potter, mud-dauber, and sand wasps. Also, once the plants have gone to seed (where I live that is early July) the seeds provide food for birds that will eat the seeds and any insect pests lurking in the garden.

I also shook a bunch of the seeds around into the soil to ensure that I don't have to buy another plant next year. Nature will take care of that. Furthermore, when doing my trench composting I cut up the stalk of the plant and put it in the trenches along with leaves and some greens.

NOTE: Angellica is not compatible with celery. So, if you have the two in your vegetable garden, plant the celery somewhere away from the Angellica.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

While I'm talking about Angellica, I might as welll put a little thing in here about planting perennials in the vegetable garden. Perennials are great because they
a) Cast shade over the garden thus protecting the soil from dessication
b) Are in the garden year round and thefore protect the soil from being blown away by winds or washed away by rains.
c) provide food for birds during winter (especially perennials with berries)
d) Nitrogen fixing perennials fix Nitrogen into the soil year round

I personally have Angellica (which, I'm not really sure can be considered a perennial), Solidago (goldenrod) and two others of which, I do not know the names.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Opa, Angelica is a biennial :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ah BIENNIAL; A plant that usually only lives two years, normally producing flowers and seed the second year. Thus meaning that the seeds that I scattered around the old plant will grow into plants that will produce seed two years from now.

Incidentally, that should be the first year that I will have a crop of Asparagus. :P

Thanks for the info Val. You are a welcomed addition to the site. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Angelica (specifically A. sylvestris) is popping up on invasive lists in Ontario; looks too much like giant hogweed for me to trust it completely. Might want to check the listings in your area, but if I see it going invasive that close to home (hundreds of miles, but still...) I won't use it...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tip Scott, I'll check that out. I had read that it was a plant to attract beneficial insects and had naturally assumed that it was native to North America but, obviously further research need be done. I'll get back to the forum on that.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the welcome Opa. I am enjoying this forum very much.
Scott is right, Angelica Sylvestris is on the invasive lists in eastern Canada. However, I am not sure if this also applies to the other varieties of Angelica as well - Angelica Archangelica, Angelica gigas, etc.? :?
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As noted, I err to the side of caution...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I still have to do a bunch of research on the subject but, I will take Scott's and Val's advice on the subject. Unfortunately, I have already mulched the plant into my soil. Caution will be observed when the seeds sprout next spring.

After I'm done my research; I'll post the information here.

Isn't this a great site? :P

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like to think so...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I'm enjoying it...... :)
VAL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Glad to have you here Val.

8)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hear hear!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks a lot! It's very interesting hearing what others are thinking, and also realizing what I know! Having fun! :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”