hplayer13
Newly Registered

Preparation for Newbie

I've got my raised beds ready with manure/compost mixture and seaweed/muck already in. Just need soil added before spring.

I need a fence to keep deer out was thinking normal cheap but somehow install taller wire.
Any ideas on fencing? Also where do you buy your seeds (online, local garden store,meijer)? Where and when to get soil?
Any other preparation I can do before the planting season?

hplayer13
Newly Registered

Also should I buy heirloom seeds or the cheap ones at stores, and why?

imafan26
Mod

Hi player
Welcome. It helps a lot if you add your location and zone to your profile when you ask questions.

Where to buy seeds. If you use the search this was recently discussed so you can follow that thread.
It was a post by Springfever on Feb 2 about where to buy heirloom seeds. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 53#p322208

It is a good idea to get your soil tested so you can get recommendations for fertilizing. You can ask for organic solutions

Before you buy a lot of seeds, we all get crazy sometimes. It helps to figure out the square footage of your garden and plot it out on a plan.

Decide on the plants you really like to grow and make the long list.
Find out how much space each plant takes and when you can plant it in your zone.
Some plants are better in the cooler times of the year while others like tomatoes and peppers have to be started indoors on a heat mat or you will need to wait until it is 65-70 degrees to plant it outside. It needs to be warm to do well.

After you figure out when to put in plants and how much space they have, you will need to pare down the list to be realistic as to how much you can actually get in your garden space.

Tall plants need to be placed on the north side and tomatoes will need to be staked, caged or trellised.

Smaller plants go in front. It is best to make sure your garden, if it is a raised bed is placed in full sun and you can reach across it preferably from all sides so you won't have to step in it to get to anything. Usually 4 ft wide if you can walk around the bed. After you have finished making the bed ready for planting, think about putting in a drip system or some irrigation system and a timer unless you have the time to water regularly.

Things that are quick crops like lettuce, Asian greens, radishes can be planted in succession if you sow a few seeds every couple of weeks and replant as you harvest. You want these plants in easy reach.

When you sit down to order or buy your seeds buy only as much as you realistically can grow. Seeds do keep well if they are dry and kept in the refrigerator. It is best to start small and grow the simplest plants first before taking on challenges. And only grow as much as you can manage.

Some plants can be harvested for a long time like Kale, Swiss Chard, tomatoes, peppers, herbs.

wolfwalker

Also should I buy heirloom seeds or the cheap ones at stores ? Cheap seeds from the store can be heirloom seeds ,,open pollinated or hybrids. I have used cheap seeds with great success but most are limited to variety.I buy many of my seeds from small growers https://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/Tomato_Seeds.html is just one of many I buy from. Never found a cheap fence but made mine with welded wire from lowes and green post.I use a 50% or over mix of compost mixed with well rotted manure mixed with topsoil. The last few year I been mixing a bag of NAPA oil dry to each 4 x8 foot raised bed for water retention and trace minerals.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”