birdhouse-lady

White blobs on my herbs

Help, I have white bubbly blobs of stuff (saliva looking and sticky) on my oregano, rosemary and some salvias. I washed them off with a good spray of water about three days ago, but now they are back with a vengence! Does anybody know what this is and how I get rid of it?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are referring to something called "Cuckoo Spittle". It is a white frothy secretion that is left by the larvae of hemipterous insects as a method of concealment. It is not at all harmful to your plant. You are doing the right thing in just washing it off with the hose. :wink:

Val

JPIXI

I have that problem about 2 weeks ago. I was so fustrated to have to spray it nearly every 2 days with water and biocarbonate then.

Eventually, I have adopted 1 to 2 tsp of cooking oil with 800ml of water (I use rainwater for all my spray) , a few drops of mild soap and half a tsp of biocarbonate to get rid of them. They never appear again after 2 applications. Maybe you could try that too. But be tactful on biocarbonate with herbs, some are rather sensitive to it. If you are worried you can even skip it.

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tip Pixi!! You always have some sort of concoction cooked up for everything!!! 8)

Val

JPIXI

He he..Thanks Val for your compliment.

Bon weekend ma chere amie :P

Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Et vous aussi bien, bon ami! :wink:

Val

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”